Monday, August 15, 2016

Good for You, You're Nuts: celebrating one year of #EdDlife


When I was seriously contemplating going to back to school for my EdD, I did what any reasonable person looking for life advice would do: I turned to Google for answers. After all, what the heck was I thinking entering into such a commitment? I would be handing over valued time and money to an uncertain path and outcome. I had just paid off my student loans for goodness sakes! Despairingly, the list of blogs churned up from my Google search were about as decisive as consulting a Magic 8 Ball.

Jump ahead and I am currently a year into my doctoral program. I felt I owed the kindred souls who might be consulting Google a piece of honest reflection and a little guidance. If anything, it will get me some karma points for a good parking spot. Warning: The list below should be read with a dash of humor.

Lesson One: Being Selfish
Over the past year I have had a lot of people look to me for convincing advise about earning their doctorate. First, I tell them they should not get their doctorate for the money or the fame or to be the smartest person in the room. The only reason anyone should go to school for their doctorate is this gnawing, unsettled Zelda-like calling that will not leave you alone until you finish this grand quest. My love for research and connecting the factual dots for others is a hobby and passion. I wanted to have conversations and surround myself with people who understand this part of my brain. I wanted to strengthen my research skills, knowledge of education issues and find mentors who would kick my arse a little. For me, this place was an EdD program.  

Lesson Two: Social Life
Some people are weary to go back to school because of the ramifications the workload will have on their family and social lives. I was worried about this too and it has been the source of much self debate this year. The first semester was the roughest to get through and I had to frequently revisit why I signed up in the first place. The members of my cohort and I are frequently reminded by our professors that the toughest aspect of our program is the perseverance. I quickly learned to balance time, how to function on slightly less sleep and politely turn down social invitations. Supportive friends are the ones who keep asking to hang out despite the fact that I disappear for long periods of time (especially at the end of the semester). Ironically being in school has taught me to savor moments away from books and be fully present in the moment. If you have children, the parental doctoral students I know have incredibly supportive partners, families and do much of their work after the children have gone to bed. I have learned there is a hidden doctoral class called "Balance 101". I should mention/give a shout out to my supportive administration who make it all possible too.

Lesson Three: Money, Money and Money
In my first semester I realized how much I had repressed any memory of the price of text books. Luckily, due to a decrease in my social life there is a little wiggle room in my budget! Textbooks are available for rent and with enough hunting, used books are fairly priced. If you're thinking of going back, the financial ugliness of loans should not deter your goals. There are ways to make it happen (insert Irene Cara song). I suggest the request for book retailer gift cards become a part of your holiday mantra for friends and family. For help with credits? I was lucky enough to find a program that has a generous scholarship for its students. Look into lists of scholarships, different types of loans and credit transfers (I transferred in credits from Masters Numero Dos and it has saved me a very large bundle). 

Lesson Four: Other Social Stuff
I have gotten used to this look people give me when I tell them I am a doctoral student. It's a
cross between "wow, good for you" and "you're nuts". When I first started I would respond with a list of reasons why I decided to go back to school. I stopped doing this when I became more comfortable in the second lesson, my program and my commitment. 

I have also learned there is a cut off line to others' interest level when I start talking
about my classes and research. I could talk about my research as if it was my party trick performing child or pet. I am still perfecting when the exact moment of T.M.I. begins on people's faces. Honestly, being a doctoral student can be a little bit lonely at times when you're outside of your cohort. The social stuff that surrounds being a doctoral student can be hard to navigate at times for me (insert Irene Cara song again).

This past year I have learned to ask better questions and have grown in ways I never could have predicted when I was consulted Google for life advice. Another year of classes is ahead of me and I am excited to dive head first into qualitative research. A year from today I will have completed my qualifying exam and writing my qualifying paper. I am depending on the guidance of my supportive professors much more than Google for direction when that rolls around.

A big, resounding amount of gratitude is sent to my family, colleagues and friends who listen to me struggle, rant and the occasional moments of clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment!